It’s time to dig out the jumpers, folks! Or is it? There is an art to getting “Transitional Dressing” right – and it’s all about the layers! Being able to add and shed layers can help to regulate your temperature in our unpredictable “all four seasons in a day”, Great British weather! Let me show you how to dress for Autumn.
Here are top 10 transitional pieces you’ll be wearing for years:
- Warm sleeveless layer – depending of your style, choose between sweater vests, bodywarmers, or waistcoats
- Quality knitwear is a must – stripey jumpers and long-line cardigans will see you through most seasons.
- A trench coat is a practical classic
- Shirts in natural fibres make the perfect over or under layers
- Long-sleeved t-shirts or light polo necks push those summer dresses into Autumn
- Maxi skirts – Layer over leggings in the colder days. Look for long denim options for a modern look.
- Utility/cargo trousers – with elasticated waistbands for style meets comfort!
- Shirt dress – a smart grab ‘n’ go option, perfect for warmer days and can be layered up for the cooler ones
- Scarves – add personality, colour and pattern (and warmth!) in an instant.
- Practical flats – from simple ballet pumps to chunky loafers or ankle boots.
Make your outfit feel current by mixing-up your textures and styles – for example, try pairing a satin skirt with a fluffy jumper; a suit with a t-shirt and trainers, leather jacket with floaty dress and boots. Incorporating some trends into your outfits that appeal to you, can also help you feel fresh. Look out for heritage checks, waist-defining peplums and the colours of this season – Red and Grey. Luckily, we will also continue to see classic pieces of tailoring, “quiet luxury” through gorgeous textures in neutral colours (velvet, faux shearling, patent leather) and super-practical outerwear in the shops. With many trends repeating year on year, it can be fun to see what you can find second-hand. The charity shops will now be displaying their winter stock so go grab yourself a trendy (and sustainable!) bargain!